April 5, 2020
Parks officials revealed their plans to place retractable bollards along every pedestrian entrance to Coney Island’s Riegelmann Boardwalk, preventing cars from driving onto the walkway.
Security

City unveils anti-terrorism barriers for Coney boardwalk

The city is spending $32 million to install barriers along the Coney Island boardwalk to protect the People’s Playground from a terrorist attack!

“The goal of the project is to limit the vulnerabilities to vehicular terrorism,” said Parks Department rep Abigail Chatfield. 

The project — which is a coordinated effort between Park honchos and the Police Department’s Counterterrorism Division — calls for the installation of bollards and gates along the boardwalk’s entrances in an effort to prevent terrorists rolling through with their four-wheeled killing machines. 

Councilmen Mark Treyger and Chaim Deutsch proposed the security enhancements following a terrorist attack along the West Side Highway in Manhattan on Halloween 2017, when a truck driver ran over eight pedestrians beside the roadway along the Hudson River Greenway. 

“As we’ve sadly seen — both in our own city and on an international level — vehicles are increasingly being used in high-pedestrian-traffic areas as weapons to attack the public,” Councilman Mark Treyger (D—Coney Island) said at the time. 

And if a terrorist did strike, it wouldn’t be the first time Coney Island had been targeted by wackos — police cuffed three self-proclaimed jihadists in 2015, after the stooges declared their allegiance to ISIS and plotted to bomb an unspecified target in the neighborhood. 

The 150-pound black metal bollards will be just over three-feet high and spaced four-feet apart along the outer edge of the boardwalk, while vehicle entrances will feature five-foot high swing gates — which will be wide enough to allow for wheelchair access, according to authorities.

The bollards would be retractable, allowing authorities to remove the 150-pound barriers for major events.

The new protective measures won’t be constructed until 2021, and officials are still finalizing their exact locations as they study the effects they would have on emergency vehicles and boardwalk-based merchants.

Many residents have long pushed for the anti-car measures — albeit, to deter police officers and Parks Department officials from damaging the boardwalk’s planks with city vehicles. 

“The damage being done by the heavy vehicles in use on our scenic landmark by the Park’s Department and NYPD is clearly and abundantly evident when you walk on the wooden Riegelmann Boardwalk,” Orlando Mendez wrote in a Facebook group dedicated to improving the boardwalk. 

The local Community Board’s Parks Committee voted in favor of the scheme’s preliminary designs, but final designs won’t be completed until Spring 2020, according to department reps.

BP

Related posts

Police footage of firearms training is helping Facebook detect terrorism live streams

In The News

Paris attack knifeman pictured for first time as police say terrorism can’t be ruled out

In The News

IS LONE WOLF TERRORISM ON THE RISE IN ISRAEL?

JP

PAKISTAN ‘DISAPPOINTED’ AT ANNUAL U.S. TERRORISM REPORT

In The News

The horror of a new domestic terrorism law

In The News

It’s time to call violent antisemitism what it is: domestic terrorism

JP

To give you the best possible experience, this site uses cookies. If you continue browsing, you accept our use of cookies. You can review our privacy policy. Accept Read More